Showing posts with label Stim cycle 2. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Stim cycle 2. Show all posts

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Where to go from here?

I got a call from Nurse Betty today, Dr. Slick wants to meet me at 9:00 tomorrow morning to do another u/s & b/w to see what the lead follicle is doing, as well as to check on my progesterone. We'll discuss where to go from here for July IVF. I asked her if an IUI was possible, and she said we could talk tomorrow. So who knows what will happen.

Either way, I'm going to tie DH up in bed this weekend so we can BD our brains out and at least give it a shot.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dr. Poke-a-me

I had my last visit with Dr. Poke-a-me this morning. When he asked how everything was going, I told him that I had been cancelled. I had debated cancelling that appointment but decided to go ahead with it since I'm going to try baby dancing this month and see if we have any success. He wished me luck and said that I'd be having a busy weekend. He's too funny!

I haven't called the IVF nurse yet to see what the next step is. Maybe I'll just wait. I have been busy today at work and will be gone for most of tomorrow, so I'll call later this week.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Snowmass: Tears & Cheers

What a way to travel! The flight to Denver was a bit bumpy, but very short, and what a smooth landing! The ride to Aspen on a twin propeller plane was adventurous, a little bumpy when flying through a cloud, but not bad at all. My flight out of Colorado Springs left at 9:50 am and I was in Aspen at 12:02 pm.

I had just grabbed a breakfast burrito that my SIL had made that morning and was munching on it when my cell phone rang. It was Battle Axe from the REs. She asked me where I was and I told her I was in Snowmass already. She said what a way to travel (as my appointment had been at 7:30 Friday morning). So I'm all cheerful and ask how my numbers look. She said my estrogen numbers looked really good, they matched my ultrasound perfectly. I'm like great! then she said that my progesterone was too high. I've not had any experience with that before, so I asked her what that meant. She said that the lupron wasn't working, it let one of my follicles become dominant and it was holding back the other follicles. Therefore I was cancelled.

At this, I started to cry right away. She kept trying to tell me though that it was good news the way I was responding, it was just that they were going to have to change up my suppressant, by either having me take multiple doses of the lupron each day or use a different medication. I wanted to throw the phone, but I try to discipline myself so that I don't destroy my things when I'm angry or upset. I told her that I guessed I'd just call her when I start my next period. She said yes. I squeezed out thanks and good bye and hung up.

Hubby was there beside me, hugging me, asking what happened. I told him and he said it would be all right. We have to be patient. We'll find the right combination of medications. I guess I have to believe him, right?

After having a good little cry, explaining to my BIL what all of this meant, and then finishing my breakfast burrito, I finally decided that I was in God's beautiful country, and I was going to enjoy myself!

Friday's contest didn't result in our winning any prizes in the Chili Verde, Red Chili or Salsa categories. On Saturday though, Hubby won 3rd place in Chili Verde! Originally he had been announced as the 2nd place winner, but there was a "technical error" on the judges part (they don't know how to count up to 18), and he was bumped down to third place. But that's okay, he was still very happy to get a trophy that said "Snowmass Chili Festival, 3rd Place Chili Verde." It seems like when he has won or placed in past competitions, either they just give money (which is nice) and no actual prize (like a plate or plaque), or the prizes they hand out do not indicate what it was that he won.

It snowed last night and on the way home today over Vail and Loveland passes, although not enough today to slow down our driving. When we picked up our doggies, they were so happy to see us! We were glad to see them too as we missed them.

It's good to be home. Tomorrow I get to go clear my calendar at work of all my RE appointments for the month. I really hate doing that. Grrrr.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Let the analyzing begin

Now that I have done a day and a half worth of stims, I'm starting to analyze every twinge, pain, cramp and flutter I'm feeling in my nether regions. The first day of my first cycle I thought I was feeling things, but we know now that that wasn't the case. I'm really hoping that this time it is different.

I just felt a pain in my right side near my waist. That's too high to be my ovaries, right? See what I mean?

Yesterday I was pretty gassy, thankfully no odor along with it - lol - but could that have caused some of the twinges I was feeling?

I won't know until Friday how my ovaries are responding this time. I'm at the maximum dosage of Follistim - 375 IU a day, and two vials of Repronex. I began the Lupron the day before the stims and was not on any BCPs. Surely I'll respond this time, right? If not, am I going to be told that I'm too fat and to really have any chance at all to get pregnant I'll need to lose some significant weight?

I've said this before, the two week wait after ovulation is crazy, but I think this waiting, to see if my body even responds, is even worse. If it doesn't respond, I don't even get the privilege of a 2WW. I get nothing.

Please God, let me respond this time. Let my ovaries take that medicine in and start developing those follicles. I want nice big E2 numbers on Friday. I'm thinking 200 - 300 would be great!

Since I'll be gone this weekend, I won't be able to post my results until Sunday night or Monday.

Monday, June 2, 2008

The light is green!

We got the go ahead from Battle Axe to start stimming! Lupron tonight, Follistim in the morning, and Repronex tomorrow night. Whew! What a relief.

She cancelled Wednesday’s lab work appointment. I tried to see if I could change Friday’s appointment to Thursday, but she wouldn’t let me. Now I’m trying to think outside the box as to how to do this. I’ve got a few phone calls to make to see if I can do what I’m thinking.

We’ll be cutting it real close on my in stock meds. I’m okay on the Lupron and Follistim, but will need to order the Repronex as I have a six day supply. If Friday’s blood work looks good, they will have to reorder so I have it by Monday. But they said they do have some in stock so if I have to borrow some of theirs for a day and then give it back when I get mine that will work too.

Yea!!!

Mini-meltdown at the RE’s

This morning I had my appointment at the RE’s to check to see if my estrogen level is low enough to start.

Nurse Betty came and took me back to the room. As I sat on the examining table, she said that I looked scared, which made me begin to tear up. I said I was concerned about the narrow window to do the transfer. Then Dr. Slick (I consider him to be the salesman of the center) comes in to do my ultrasound. Dr. Opie has always done my ultrasounds, so that freaks me out just a bit (the fewer who see my cookie the better!).

So I lay back, he sticks the lovewand up inside, and says the lining looks great. It’s at about six (I think that is what he said), which was down from the 15 on Friday. Then he takes a look at the right ovary, nice and quiet, then the left ovary - OWWWWWWWW! Dang that left ovary and it’s hiding. But it is quiet too. Dr. Slick apologized for it hurting me.

I sit up, we get to talking. He asks if I have any questions. I ask if he realistically thinks we’ll be a go this time. He says he sees no reason not to be. Nurse Betty then reminds him that I was cancelled last time. I asked about the window, and I get all teary again. He’s like it’s okay to cry to get the anxiety all out. He said that if I’m okay with a five day transfer than I should be okay with a two day transfer, or three day or four day. There really aren’t any restrictions on that and so we should be able to make the window for the transfer with no problem. Which is reassuring, assuming that I respond this time to the meds.

I rescheduled tomorrow’s lab only appointment for Wednesday, and my Thursday appointment is now on Friday. I’m supposed to be in Snowmass on Friday. This means that Hubby will have to go up on Thursday, and I can either come up Friday after the appointment, or just stay home. It doesn’t seem financially feasible for both of us to take our cars on a five to six hour trip, one way. Also, I’ll either have to figure out how to give myself the repronex shot or find someone else to do it.

Hubby and I will have to talk when I go home for lunch today. We have got to figure out what we’re going to do. Personally I want him to go to the cook off, even if I can’t. But with gas at over $4.00 a gallon now, that’s quite the additional expense we weren’t counting on.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I told the doctor and nurse that I always get the call with the bad news from Battle Axe and the good news comes from Nurse Betty. They laughed and said they’d have to change that up. Me and my big mouth, now I’m not going to know what to expect when I first hear the nurse’s voice.

On a side note that I just thought of, I wonder what the doctors think when they are doing an ultrasound on a woman who is menstruating. Are they thinking that they earned their “red wings” a long time ago and don’t need this crap?

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Aunt Flo has arrived!

It is only those of us who are going through infertility treatments that can truly love and hate the arrival of Aunt Flo. I have felt her all day long, running to the bathroom every hour to see if she was here yet, even though I didn't have to urinate. I have had cramps and have felt blah. Finally she is here, starting her visit.

I called the RE's office and left a message. I highly doubt that I'll get a call back tonight or even tomorrow saying I can start the process, I will most likely have to wait until Monday's appointment to see how my blood work and ultra sound come out. Hopefully I'll have shed a good deal of my lining by then so I can start Stim Cycle #2.

I guess now I can finally relax just a little, although her arrival is no guarantee that I've made the narrow window. Time will only tell.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Dr. Opie & Dr. Poke-a-me (Update)

I had my ultrasound and blood work this morning at the RE’s. Dr. Opie (one of the RE’s at the practice) did my u/s. Didn’t hurt at all this time! I was very pleased with my left ovary as it wasn’t hiding. Both ovaries are quiet. Aunt Flo still hasn’t come so we’re just waiting for her to show up. My lining is very thick, which could affect my estrogen levels.

One of the RE nurses told me I could have Dr. Poke-a-me start AF! I was like “Really? Cool!” So when I went to him this morning, he stuck about 12 more needles in me. I had them on the inside of my thighs above my knees, a couple in my feet, extra ones in my ankles, one on each elbow, and two on my hands, in addition to the normal four in my back and four in my calves. Just call me a pincushion!

If any of you kind ladies are finished with Aunt Flo, please send her my way. If I don’t get her in the next few days, we may have to move this stim cycle back a month as I have a five day window to get the egg retrieval done so that there are doctors there to do the embryo transfer.

On a totally different note, going home last night after work and having my hair blown all over the place from the wind, I decided my new short hair cut needs to be shorter. My new stylist is about to go out on maternity leave and there is no way I can wait another six weeks to get in for a cut. So I’m going today during a later lunch hour to get it cut. Two cuts in two weeks!

My mom roped me in to help her with her yard sale tomorrow so I’ll probably head down there tonight or early tomorrow morning. Either sleep in my own bed tonight and get up really early or stay there and sleep on the couch. Hmmmm.

Update:

Battle Axe called me this afternoon. Said that estradial (estrogen) levels are high due to the thick lining. I am on hold for the weekend. If I start my period over the weekend, I need to call them. I am scheduled to go in on Monday to check on things. Not sure if I'll keep my Tuesday appointment, but it all depends on whether AF shows or not. Come on AF, please!

Friday, May 2, 2008

New calendar

Gosh, two posts in one day. I'm on a roll! lol

Okay, talked with Nurse Betty. She is going to have me do blood work tomorrow here in town to get my baseline hormone levels.

  • I'll start BCPs Saturday night through May 27. Updated: Scratch this - no BCPs, natural cycle
  • I'll go in on Friday May 30 for b/w & u/s.
  • Start stims on June 1.
  • June 3 b/w & u/s
  • June 5 u/s only
  • June 7 b/w & u/s

Updated:

  • June 9 b/w & u/s
  • June 10 b/w & u/s
  • June 11 b/w & u/s
  • June 12 possible egg retrieval
  • June 13 bed rest day
  • June 15 possible Day 3 embryo transfer
  • June 17 possible Day 5 embryo transfer
  • Followed by 4 1/2 days bed rest

Now those of you who are keeping tabs on me can see the conflict in dates. The chili cook off is the same weekend. When I talked to Nurse Betty about it, she said don't cancel it just yet, because it is possible that depending on how I'm responding on Thursday's appointment, Dr. Opie may say I don't have to come in for Saturday's. Or, it could be like last time and get cancelled. So we're supposed to play it by ear.

I made the reservations already for our hotel this morning. The lady did offer cancellation insurance. When I talk with Hubby today at lunch, I'll see if he thinks it would be worth taking out. If we don't cancel prior to 14 days, we lose the $99 a night for three nights. Ouch.

Decisions decisions.

Update: Now the bed rest is conflicting with our second chili cook off of the month. lol I seriously think we should just TAB from chili cooking for the summer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...