Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Regroup session

We may be trying IVF with my own eggs. I say may because of course, there are so many hurdles we must clear before we actually get to IVF that it isn't guaranteed.

Take away list of things to do:

1) Perinatal consult - Dr. S thinks that it would be a very good idea that before we proceed that I consult with a high risk OB (perinatologist) who would agree to be my doctor should I become pregnant. Due to my weight and the extra risks it involves (higher chances of diabetes, high blood pressure, toxemia, miscarriage, blood clotting, etc.) he thinks that it is very important that I have a peri set up before we even get to the point of getting pregnant.

2) Embryology consult - actually, this has been done regarding Hubby's SA. His numbers were good. We'll still use ICSI because of the fact that I have old eggs (diminished ovarian reserve (DOR) is the correct term) he thinks that using ICSI will prevent my egg shells from being too tough for the sperm to penetrate.

3) SHG - sonohistiogram (sp?) - to check on the fibroid that was discovered during my hysteroscope last year. Make sure that it hasn't moved or anything.

4) Trial embryo transfer - make sure his tools likes my cervix.

5) IVF nurses - contact them to set up drugs.

6) Counselling - not sure actually what this is supposed to entail. I don't think it's psychological counselling. I didn't even think to ask this question.

7) Business office - get with them to make sure they and I know what will and won't be covered by my insurance.

8) Acupuncture - he recommends it and will give me names. While I'd love to use my previous acupuncturist (he was a cutie!), I'm not that sure that he's that in tune with acu w/ IVF. I've read several other ladies' accounts of their acu sessions and mine were nothing like that.

9) Anesthesia consult - Again, because of my weight, he wants to make sure that he has someone who will be able to control the amount of meds I get to make sure that I'm not too uncomfortable during the egg retrieval. Apparently, they don't put you out all the way, you are semi-awake during it. I'm not too sure I like this. We'll see.

Of these nine things, the most important are #s 1, 5 and 9. I must find a peri who will treat me during the pregnancy. If not, we're kind of screwed. Of course, making sure that I don't feel the ER is important too. And of course, finding out what meds will be covered is necessary. I'm sure that all of them will be, with the possible exception of Saizen. So Heidi, I may be contacting you about your supply if you still have it and my insurance won't cover it.

In addition to all the above, he wants me to have some more blood work done, including a fasting glucose, fasting insulin and fasting lipid panel. This is to gauge my risk for these things going into the possible pregnancy.

What we will be doing is a convert to IVF. He'll be dosing me with the maximum drugs, and if I respond with the very minimum of four follicles at least 16 mm, then we will do IVF. If it looks like I have a follie or two, we may continue with the stims and do an IUI.

I am continuing with the DHEA for a minimum of eight weeks. I've been taking it about three weeks now, so only five more to go. It is quite possible that we could be looking at April as being our target date.

I won't be using Lupron this time. We'll wait until my follies reach 14 mm then start taking Ganirelix.

He of course said my best shot was with donor eggs, but understood we wanted one last attempt to do it with my own eggs. He did emphasize several times that he would not put my life in jeopardy, which both Hubby and I appreciate. We want kids, but I don't want to die trying.

We feel good about our meeting with him. I am very pleased that he is willing to give us this last chance. He isn't guaranteeing anything by any means, but he said he would definitely help us. Of course, that's all I want. If this doesn't work, then I will close this chapter and begin the next.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...