Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Additional details

I thought I'd post what the plan is if we are able to pass our tests and actually go down the IVF road with Dr. S.

As I mentioned last, I'll start taking the DHEA, probably on Monday or Tuesday, when it comes in. I will call on CD 1, go in for CD 3 blood work to test FSH, LH, E2, and AMH (ovarian reserve test).

I'll then take clo.mid 100 mg CD 5-9. Test FSH, E2 on CD 10. I'll also have another blood test 10 days after I start the DHEA to test my levels for that.

After we regroup, if, as I said above, we get the green light to proceed, here's the plan:
  • 300 units of Menop.ur (he uses this rather than Repr.onex as it is a pure rather than synthetic med)
  • 300 units of Bra.velle (again, he prefers this over Fo.llistim as it comes from the real deal rather than fake stuff)
  • Gani.relix (an antagonist) when my follies get to be about 14 mm
  • Growth hormone (Sai.zen)
  • Dexamet.rason (sp??) - actually not sure what this is for
  • Optional acupuncture
  • ICSI

It is somewhat ironic that all the meds he plans on using I have zero of. If you recall, I have left over Foll.istim and Re.pronex. I guess I will continue to save these for possible donor, however, since we may have to wait a year for that and the meds may expire before then, I will be donating the meds to a person in need (well, I'll ask that they reimburse me for my copayments, which is still CHEAP compared to what they could pay cash price).

I almost scared myself this afternoon as I went online to check my insurance benefits. I tried searching for some of the meds, and they weren't coming up, when they had before. However, I did go on our internal website and found our outline of benefits and it does say that IF treatment is still covered. Phew! I just need to figure out why it isn't pulling up the drugs. I'll have to contact customer service to see what's going on with the online system.

I did have to pay out of pocket for the DHEA, which considering, is nothing compared to what others pay. I'm not in the least bit complaining. My benefit summary did state that it doesn't reimburse for meds filled by non-participating pharmacies, which this one isn't. Oh well. I'll just make sure that all future meds are filled by my insurance company's specialty pharmacy.

Did I ever tell you how I came to have IF coverage? My employer was purchased a year and a half ago by a much larger insurance agency based out of Chicago, IL. Illinois has a state mandate for infertility. So when we moved over to their insurance, poof! I have IF coverage, which was perfect timing. My old insurance carrier would diagnose IF, but didn't provide any coverage to treat it. My coverage isn't a lot. I have up to 6 attempts at IVF, which may sound like a lot, but it's a $10,000 lifetime maximum benefit. I'm very fortunate that the blood work, ultrasounds, medications do not apply to the $10,000. Only actual retrieval, the ICSI, the fertilization and growing, then transfer are applied to that amount. So I figure I probably have about 1.5 - 2 IVF attempts worth of coverage.

Now that I've written a short novel, I'll go watch Desperate Housewives. I tried watching it Sunday night, but the digital signal for ABC was jacked up, and I was unable to sit through the jumping, skipping and still frames. I'm going to go online and watch it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...