Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chili, Moose and Bear, oh my!

This weekend at Winter Park was fun! We had a two day chili cook off in God's country. Beautiful mountainsides, colorful sunsets, and wildlife!

If you've been reading my blogs for a while, you know that Winter Park is quite lax in their attitude towards bears, while other mountain communities are very strict. We had a nicely distant experience with a black bear at the condos we stayed in. Despite the posting of the proper way to dispose of garbage, some construction workers through a pizza box in a small trash dumpster, and was raided by a 2-3 year old black bear right behind our condo. Hubby hollered at me to look out the window, and sure enough, there he was, just munching on discarded pizza! Quite crazy. We tried to get pictures with our cell phones, but they suck when it comes to getting a far away picture. Although I did get a video of the bear standing up at the dumpster, when you watch it, the bear is tiny.


Unfortunately, we personally did not see any live moose, but did hear about how traffic was at a standstill just outside of town due to all the cars stopping to watch the many moose off the side of the road. On the way home, we strained to see a moose, but alas, we didn't.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Hubby won three awards for his entries into the various contests. Since he won on Saturday with his salsa, I went ahead and entered it on Sunday, but only took second place with it. I think it was because it wasn't quite as fresh as Saturday's and the avocados had gotten a bit mushy. That's okay, I still won $75 and have a nice bowl as my prize.

My vegetarian chili went over very well! I learned that it's actually considered vegan, since I used absolutely no animal products whatsoever in the chili. I could not enjoy it because it was too hot for me! The jalapenos that I found at the farmer's market were just too hot and I put one too many spoonfuls in, and the bite factor just went over the top. The people seemed to like it though as we had the longest line of people at our tent late Saturday afternoon seeking a sample of it before the train left. I couldn't keep the chili in my pot! Each time I'd run out, I'd pull another bag of it out to warm up, and the people could barely wait until it was warmed through before they wanted their samples. It was a nice change from having leftover chili that I have to throw away.

Friday morning before we left, I used my last HPT to test. It was negative. Monday morning I sent Hubby to Saf.eway to get me an EP.T digital test before we left, and it too was negative. I have one left and will test Friday, if AF hasn't showed up. If she hasn't and it's negative, then I may need to call Dr. Slick and see if I need something to get AF started, or if I should just wait it out. I had two periods in July, but have not had one yet in August, and I'm running out of days. Not that I'm complaining, but this is not usual for me. Hopefully there will be a miraculous reason for this.

If you live near Superior, Colorado and want to taste some mighty fine chili, we have another cook off coming up on September 13. Did I mention that each cook off supports a local charity? The Winter Park cook off proceeds went to the Ski Program for the Disabled, and we netted them close to $2,000! So not only will you get to sample some very tasty chili and salsa, you will be supporting a good cause.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...