Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yesterday was painful

I had my worst day yesterday since the surgery. I woke up in pain, and stayed in pain for a good portion of the day.

My abdomen where the port is placed was finally numb no longer. Plus, I ran out of the medicine they gave me to help, so I had to switch to Aleve. Then, the gas pains in my shoulder (or referred pain as some have called it) was really bad. I was seriously questioning what the hell I got myself into.

But today is so much better. Last night Hubby and I switched sides of the bed, as he normally sleeps on the left side, me on the right. But, since I can't lay on my left side, in order for me to get in or out of bed on my side, I'd have to roll over, causing much discomfort. So changing sides last night was so helpful. Then, sometime in the wee hours of the morning, I got bold and rolled over to my stomach. Success!

I took my Aleve again this morning, so I'm in hardly any pain. What I am in is hunger! The broths and cream soups aren't cutting it. I am going to ask my surgeon if I can progress to the next stage of food, or if I need to wait a bit longer.

I was getting ready at noon today for my 1:30 appointment with the surgeon when Hubby scared the crap out of me while I was in the shower. He got after me for not using the little step stool to sit on while showering. He's still concerned that I might have a bad reaction or something. Anyway, the reason for him coming in was to tell me that my doctor's office called and they need to reschedule my follow up visit. I could either do it later today or next Monday. I chose today, as I can't drive until I see him.

Then, as I was putting my make up on, I noticed that my eyes are dilated. This would explain the reason I can't focus on anything up close, within about 6 inches. I think it's caused by the anti-nausea patch I am wearing.

My tummy is starting to bruise. Also, if I run my hand across the left side of it, I can feel a lump in there, which I think is my port. But I don't do it too often because it grosses me out. I'm so squeamish when it comes to this stuff. I'd never make a good nurse or doctor.

After my appointment this afternoon, Hubby is going to take me to the grocery store so I can pick up the ingredients for a pecan pie and peach pie. The peach filling is already made in my freezer, I just need a crust for it. I could make my own, but I don't want to. This is what I got conned into bringing to my Mom's for our Christmas dinner on Saturday. For Hubby's family Christmas dinner, I'm making cranberry sauce. Two meals where I won't be able to eat unless the doctor says I can have mushy food. If so, then I can try mashed potatoes. Otherwise, I'll be having my soup broth.

Am I a glutton for punishment? I think so.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...