My Hubby's grandma, who is 87 and a widow, has recently begun dating the father of the pastor of the new church. He too is a widower and is in his mid- to late 70s. They are so cute together. They spend time with each other, going to lunch, or for a ride. They even went on a date last Saturday to a funeral of someone they both knew!
I started teasing Grandma that her and Jim need to get married. Oh my. You should have seen the hackles raise on one of her daughters, who was more concerned about Grandma losing her soci.al se.curity check than she was of her happiness. Even tonight when we went over to visit Hubby's aunt and uncle and grandma, the uncle (Grandma's SIL) was concerned about her benefits. I don't think they were too impressed that I came up with a solution to the problem.
They can get married in the church without obtaining a marriage license! Many seniors are doing that these days, especially since the woman would lose her benefits from her late husband. They would be married in the eyes of God, but not the state. I think it would be great for a couple their age to have a second chance at love. I even told Grandma that I would host her bachelorette party and get her "protection" so they wouldn't have to worry about having more kids. She just laughed.
A decision would have to be made as to who would marry them. Her son, who was the pastor of our old church, or Jim's son, who is the pastor of the new church. Of course, they can both preside over the service, and one of her other sons can walk her down the aisle. That would just be too sweet.
What do you think? Get married at their age or just not give love a chance?