Friday, April 11, 2008

How we got here

My hubby and I have been married almost three years. When we first started dating, we talked about how many kids we wanted. I wanted three, he wanted two. I decided two would be good, after all, I only have two hands, so holding on to two children should be easy. That, I found out later, was the easiest thing we did in this road to having children.

When I was younger, my ideal life roadmap was to meet the man I'd marry, marry him, enjoy his company for five years while building a solid foundation, and then have children. That was a great plan for when I was in my twenties. Once I hit my mid-thirties, well, that plan was no longer realistic.

Now that we've been married almost three years, we hope we are close to having to having our first child. Last May, we decided that I'd see my OB to get his opinion. After running a few tests, he automatically prescribes Clomid. Why is it that OBs do this? He wasted our time for four months, with no monitoring other than the first month of the blood work. We then decided to see a reproductive endocrinologist (RE). More tests, more poking, more prodding, and well, we've come to a decision.

REs will give you your chances of getting pregnant for the various types of treatments. It's all a game of numbers. My hubby, who loves playing poker, understands the probability of numbers. He's good at it. I had a couple of statistic classes and understand it. But, when you see a 50-60% chance of getting pregnant with one treatment, versus a 10-15% chance of getting pregnant with another treatment, you most likely are going to go with the higher probability.

That meant we are taking the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) road. We've been very blessed by God that I have some insurance coverage for this. It isn't unlimited, but I believe that it will be enough to give us some really good chances at conceiving our child(ren). That is my hope and desire.

This morning, I had my base blood work and ultrasound done. All looks really good. I got the green light to start my Lupron injections tomorrow. I can give these shots to myself. On the 21st, I'll go back for my next appointment when hubby will learn to give me my Repronex shot. That is the one that I really am not looking forward to, just because of the size of the needle. But, I figure the pain and discomfort I will feel now will all be worth it in the end.

One thing I have learned through this process (not that we are really that far into it) is that I must rely upon God to deliver us through the winding road. My hubby has been very good at helping me to see this, along with a few other people who I have seen getting so much strength through Christ. I have to learn that I do not control what is happening. I just have to allow miracles to be worked and I have faith that they will.

I will try to post about how everything is going. If you enjoy reading this, please post a reply. I will accept comments, but do have the right to not publish any that I think to be unpublishable. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...