Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Recap of Pre-Op Diet Day 2

Yesterday was my second day of my official pre-op diet. If you don't remember what my diet consists of, the main point is getting 30 grams or less of carbohydrates a day. I can have as much protein or fat as I want (although I am trying to be reasonable/limiting on the fat). Calories really don't matter. It's the carbs that really matters. Why? Ten days of very low carbs actually reduces the size of your liver, which is important when doing the lap-band surgery. The surgeon has to lift the liver away from your stomach and if it's too big, then the surgery can be canceled until your liver has shrunk sufficiently. I'm not paying for this twice, so it's gotta be right the first time.

My food intake yesterday:

Breakfast - 3 Jenny-O turkey sausage links, 2 eggs, over hard, water

Hot tea at work, more water

Lunch - 2 boneless skinless grilled chicken breasts, salad of mixed greens, cucumber, green onion, LiteHouse Bleu Cheese dressing, cheese stick, sugar free jello, diet pepsi (haven't given these up yet)

Water with crystal light in the afternoon

Dinner - okay, now my head is really playing tricks with me - mind games if you will. I swear I thought I'd die if I didn't get all of my carbs for the day. I had a steak, 7 brussel sprouts (was supposed to have six but one was really tiny), iceberg lettuce with same dressing as lunch (by the way, that stuff is yummy!), diet pepsi.

I wanted more! So around 7:30 I had another sugar free jello. Nope, didn't satisfy my head. I went into the kitchen and looked through all my cabinets to see what I could eat that wouldn't throw me over my carb limit. What did I find? Creamy peanut butter. So I had a spoonful of it and that took me right to 30 carbs for the day. Oh yeah, and more water.

It was crazy! I sat at dinner across from Hubby watching him eat his baked potato, chips and salsa, while I ate my brussel sprouts (don't get me wrong, I like brussel sprouts, but they're just not the same as a baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream or chips with hot salsa). I wanted to jump over the table and steal his food from his fork!

I'm really hoping today is better.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...