As you know, I am an avid reader. I love to read. Once I begin a book, I don't want to do anything else. I also like watching movies, especially of a book that I've read, so I can see if the director has interpreted it the same way I have visualized it.
My mom, aunt and I went and watched "My Sister's Keeper" on Saturday. I read this book by Jodi Picoult last year. I was ready to cry my eyes out.
SPOILER AHEAD
It didn't take long, my eyes were leaking, several times throughout the movie, but I knew that the sob scenes were at the end. I was prepared.
I was disappointed.
Oh. My. God. What they hell did they do to the movie? The ending was ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING. LIKE. THE. BOOK! Who the hell just totally changes the ending? Anna was the one who dies in the book, and ends up actually donating her kidney to Kate, who lives the life that Anna was supposed to. But not in the movie. Kate dies. Anna lives. I wanted my money back. I wanted to throw my leftover soda at the screen.
Why do screenwriters and directors and producers do this? Did they think it would sell better? Make us all feel better in the end? That we couldn't handle the grossly twisted fate that sometimes gets thrown at us?
Maybe I should quit watching the movies of the books I read (except Harry Potter). I just don't think I can handle the disappointment again.
If you've read the book and watched the movie, what did you think? If you've only watched the movie, do you now want to read the book?