My mom's side of the family is having a family reunion this weekend. I'm sure I'll see lots of cousins, aunts and uncles that I haven't seen in ages. I'm really hoping no one asks the dreaded question we all hate. I should come up with a witty response, something that is so out of the park that it will shut them up yet at the same time have them laughing without really realizing that I've zinged them. Any ideas, readers?
On a side note, I've seen many posts on the boards where people say in response to a bad report or similar, "This too shall pass." If I recall correctly, I believe this is from the Bible. However, sometimes I absolutely detest hearing that! We know the person saying it is trying to provide reassurance, and we're grateful of the reassurance, but the phrase itself almost makes it seem like what we're going through or feeling right now is without justification, since we'll get past it.
I often am comforted by the word of God, but I do not think that every passage from the Bible is appropriate for all situations. Heck, if I did I'd probably be trying to poke out someone's eye because they looked at me funny.
What comforting words or phrases actually make you cringe, instead of feel comforted?