Sunday, February 28, 2010

Zucchini Lasagna

Tonight I made zucchini lasagna for dinner tonight, sans noodles. I couldn't believe how good it was! I should note that I am not a fan of lasagna, but this stuff was very tasty. By the way, this takes a while to prepare, and it is definitely creates a lot of dishes to wash. But it is so worth it!

For 9 x 13 inch pan, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brown:
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage.

Add:
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Drain fat, and mix meat mixture with:

1 24 ounce jar favorite spaghetti sauce (I used Traditional Prego)

Saute:

8 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms
1 small chopped onion
1 orange bell pepper, julienned
1/3 pound thin asparagus, cut in 1" pieces
1 medium carrot, shredded

Set aside in bowl.

Saute in canola oil spray:

6 zucchini, sliced thinly length wise

Mix in separate bowl:

3 cups ricotta cheese (you choose fat level)
1 egg
4 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded

Place a single layer of the zucchini in the bottom of the 9 x 13 inch pan sprayed with vegetable oil (such as Pam). Top with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/2 of the meat sauce mixture, 1/2 of the vegetable mixture. Repeat. End with zucchini.

Top with 12 ounces of sliced fresh Mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 45-60 minutes until set. Remove from oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let sit at least 15 minutes, 30 minutes preferably. Serve with favorite salad and garlic bread.

This will feed a family of six, or two, with several days worth of left overs.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...