Last night's support group meeting was great! They brought in a young gal who was banded three years ago in April. She's lost 100+ pounds (don't recall exact number). When I first saw her, I thought she worked there, as she was in scrubs and so skinny. Then the facilitator introduced her as a lap band patient. Holy cow! What an inspiration!
She chronicled how her journey has been. Her trials and errors. Her plateaus. Her gains. One thing she was consistent in pointing out to us is that the band is OUR tool, and we have to use it. It will work for each one of us differently, so what may or may not work for one person, may or may not work for another. She did say that when she hits her plateaus, she journals everything she eats and mixes up her exercising, to get her body back into the groove. She is at goal, and thought that by letting a bit of fluid out, she'd be fine. She is now struggling with about 5-10 pounds she gained. But still, what an inspiration!
Now on to me, my weight. I guess I'll come clean here and actually show my weights. Please hide your gasps of horror. I'll break down the stats and time frames:
Summer visit to PCP (highest weight): 294
1st visit to surgeon - 11/2/09: 288
Pre-op visit - 12/7/09: 282
Day of surgery - 12/17/09: 268
1/5/10: 261
Weight lost since this summer: 33 pounds
Weight lost since 1st visit: 27 pounds
Weight lost since pre-op visit: 21 pounds
Weight lost since surgery: 7 pounds
Not too bad for a white girl, huh? (Please don't take offense to this. I say this all the time to my Hubby, who is of Hispanic origin).
I'm really seeing the difference in my clothes, especially my tops. The fit so much looser around my tummy. Not seeing a difference in my boobs (figures). Hubby says my pants are saggier around the butt too.
So that's it! Next support group meeting is in March. Can't wait to see what my weight is then.