Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thank God for insurance!

I went online to check to see if my insurance company had processed my medications (not actually expecting them to yet). Low and behold, they have! And I about choked!

My medications (not including the Saizen, as it hasn't been processed yet - needs pre-authorization because it is a growth hormone so it may not actually be covered) cost $5,899.88. My copayments total $154.98. I am so thankful to have this insurance. My ART benefit is $10,000 lifetime maximum, but I have found that things like my medications, u/s, and b/w do not apply to this maximum. It is only the actual ART procedures that apply. I just called Hubby to give him this figure and he said that if insurance didn't pick it up, that we wouldn't have any kids.

The list includes:
Drug name - total cost - my copay
Medrol tab - $45.82 - $40
Bravelle - $2,649.14 - $25
Dexamethason - $4.98 - $4.98
PIO - $64.32 - $10
Ganirelix - $391.04 - $10
Climara - $45.44 - $40
Menopur - $2,674.14 - $25

It seems funny that the most expensive of the medications falls under the preferred drug list, which has the $25 copay, and some of the least expensive medications fall under the non-preferred drug list with a $40 copay. Doesn't really make sense, other than the insurance company must have some really good contracts with the pharmaceutical companies for these to be preferred.

On a related but different note, as many of you know, I'm in the insurance industry (I'm an agent - I sell insurance). One of our larger clients is currently putting together the specifications for their insurance plan for 2010 that we will be bidding out. One of the things that we will be getting pricing on is infertility services. I hope that I'm able to negotiate a good price for them so that others can be helped. Colorado doesn't have mandated IF coverage, and I don't see that happening any time soon, especially given the fact that our budget is so tight and we're struggling to provide coverage for those without insurance, much less adding additional mandates which increase the cost of insurance. We'll see how it goes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...