Monday, January 26, 2009

Eight is enough

My jaw hit the floor this evening as I watched the 10 o'clock news. A lady in Southern California delivered octuplets. That's eight babies, my friends. EIGHT!

Damn! The funny part (if there is a funny part) was that they only thought there were seven originally. Hmm, I wonder if they knew that there were eight if it would have made any difference (such as in selective reduction)?

For now, the babies and mom are fine, but I wonder what their long-term prognosis is.

I truly hope that all are well, but you know, this really pisses me off. Stories like this gives fertility treatments a black eye. Many women, such as myself, try for years to have a baby. A baby. As in one. If we get so lucky, we may try for a second or even third down the line. We all know that with the procedures we go through, there is a chance for multiples. But when doctors and the couple allow for a woman to carry that many, it just really puts both the mom and babies at such high risk. I have a hard time understanding why a woman would want to do this.

What are your thoughts? If one of your treatments was "successful" and you ended up pregnant with more than, say four, embryos, what would you do?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...