Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Second opinion

I called CCRM this afternoon (I told you I would Gretchen!) to set up a second opinion visit. We’ll be meeting with Dr. S on August 25, on our way back from a chili cook off in Winter Park.

This appointment will be to determine (hopefully) if I do indeed have a poor ovarian reserve, or if Dr. S thinks he can help us conceive using my eggs, but a different protocol. I’m excited but have reservations about it at the same time. Obviously I’m excited that he can tell me that yes my eggs are there and not at all old, I just need to take a different set of meds to get to them. My reservations come from the fact that if he does tell us we have a chance with my eggs, than how am I going to pay for it?

As you most likely know, I have insurance coverage through my work that does provide some infertility treatment and ART coverage (only $10,000 but it certainly isn’t anything to sneeze at). However, treatment and ART are only covered when I use in-network providers. CCRM is not a covered provider under my insurance.

Here is my quandary. Do I mortgage my first born to do IVF with CCRM (where I’ll have 1.5 hour drive one way each time I go there but most likely can get my drugs covered), or mortgage my first born to do donor egg at RMFC (3/4 hour drive, my services covered, but I pay $13,000 for donor costs)?

At CCRM, I’d have to pay for each service as performed (which means I’d have to put off any services until I have saved up enough to do so) or at RMFC where I can finance through them a portion of it (or also put off any services until I have saved up enough to do so).

Or, if Dr. S thinks I can be treated but with a different protocol, do you think he’d be willing to consult with Dr. Slick (at RMFC) and tell him what to do? Or would Dr. Slick’s ego not allow that, or would Dr. S not do it because then how would he make any money off of me?

We’re going to be out some money either way. The question is which way do I think I’d get the best results (as in live baby at birth)?

I do not like the fact that I have to make this decision based on what I can afford. I know I am very blessed to have insurance coverage for IVF, but as you can see, it isn’t without strings attached. You know, Dr. Slick was right that I don’t want to throw away good money on something that isn’t going to work. I guess that is why I am going after the second opinion. I am just a bit afraid of what that second opinion is going to result in.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...