Justine over at Adventures in Band Land is headed over to a support group meeting tonight (post-op). She had asked for a list of questions to ask about the band, etc., and after I typed up this list, I realized that it is probably more appropriate for asking prior to surgery than after surgery.
So if anyone is reading my blog who is considering getting the lap-band, than you may want to ask these questions of your surgeon:
1) Why am I starving during post op diet?
2) Is it normal to gain weight during post op?
3) Why can I eat like I could pre-op now that I'm banded (before my first fill)?
4) How many fills does it take to hit the sweet spot?
5) What can I expect during recovery immediately after the surgery and for the next week to 10 days?
6) Do you provide a pain pump at the incision site where the port is placed?
7) Do you use scopalamine patches to help prevent nausea following surgery?
8) What is your post-op diet recommendations? How do I move between the various stages?
9) Will my band contain any fill when you place it during surgery?
10) How long after surgery before I get my first fill?
11) Are you aggressive or timid in giving fills?
12) What criteria do you use to determine if I need a fill? Hunger? Snacking? Amount I can eat? Amount of weight lost? Do I have to wait a specific amount of time between fills or can I call to schedule a fill if I think I need one sooner than recommended?
13) How much weight should I expect, on average, to lose each week/month, etc?
14) How large of a role does exercise play in my weight loss?
15) Do you offer the use of a nutritionist post surgery?
16) Do you offer suggestions for goal weight and/or BMI? How do you come up with this figure?
17) How soon after surgery can I start exercising? At what intensity level?
18) How soon after surgery can I drive? (Typically based on pain meds your taking)
19) When can I resume intimate relations with my partner?
20) Who do I call if I have questions if something doesn't seem right? Is there someone on call 24/7?
21) If I don't think I'm doing as well as I should, or if I've gained weight after a period of time, please explain your philosophy of support. (i.e. Surgeon's office is there for you regardless of your rate of loss (or gain) and wants to help you reach your goals ~or~ your on your own (eek!).
22) Do I need to take any extra vitamin supplements?
23) What about hair loss? Is this normal? How much? How soon? How long?
24) Do you have a clothes exchange?
25) Do you offer either a card that identifies me as a lapbander for possible restaurant discounts or in case of medical emergency?
26) What kind of complications could arise after surgery? What should I watch out for? How do I tell if I've had a slippage?
27) Is it normal to slime, PB or get nauseated?
28) What is first bite syndrome? How do I work around this if I have it?
29) Will I be able to feel my port?
30) Where will my port be placed?