Thursday, February 25, 2010

New test!

I wonder if there is a way to study for this new test I have to take. Any self-help books that I can buy (but obviously not read), or online tutorials. Hmmm.

Oh, what's that? What test do I need to take? So glad you asked!

Sleep Study Test!

Ugh.

A little back story.

For two years now, I've been suffering from recurrent ear infections. After my last one in January, my PCP's office thought I should go see an ENT (Ear, Nose Throat specialist). She looks in my ear, gives me some drops, then asks me if I snore. Who doesn't?

She then says she wants to do an oxygen test to test my levels while I sleep. So a couple of Fridays ago I wore the little thingy on my finger to monitor my oxygen levels while I slept.

Apparently the levels were low enough to warrant a sleep study. The standard is for the oxygen level to not go below 90%, +/- 2%. She said mine were 10% below that.

I find it interesting (to put it politely) that an ENT doc wants me to have this, after only seeing me once, yet my PCP never requested it, and my surgeon didn't think it was necessary either.

A scam to get money from my insurance company and me?

Bad doctoring on part of my PCP?

Indifference from my surgeon?

Hmmmm.

Hubby has sleep apnea. He wears a C-PAP machine at night. I think it benefits him, especially when he keeps it on most of the night. But I could tell that he needed it. He quit breathing at night! It would actually wake me up when I didn't hear him breath (ok, snore) for a while. Or when he'd snort so loud from having not breathed for a minute or so. Hubby has never reported anything like this about me.

I guess I'll go ahead and have the test done, but I'm none to pleased about it. I'm hoping we can do it on a Friday or Saturday night as I really don't want to have to take time off work for this. Can you tell that this has got me a bit pissy?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...